- Quality Assurance and Performance Improvement
- Regulatory and Licensing
HukariAscendent has provided support to a variety of commercial nuclear clients for Licensing, Inspections, Tests, Analyses, and Acceptance Criteria (ITAAC), and Quality Assurance.
New Facility Licensing Support
Clients: AREVA NP Inc., Black & Veatch, Shaw AREVA MOX Services LLC, Mitsubishi Nuclear Energy Systems (MNES), and Shine Medical Technologies
HukariAscendent is a leader in providing licensing support to new nuclear facilities including:
- New reactor combined construction/ operating license applications (COLA) development and maintenance
- Environmental permitting (Environmental Impact Statements)
- Licensing and design basis documents
- NRC licensing communications
- Regulatory compliance
- Nuclear Materials Control and Accountability (NMC&A) Programs
- Medical isotope production facility licensing
Operating Nuclear Power Plant Licensing Support
Clients: Duke Energy, Arizona Public Service (APS), Excel Energy, and Energy Northwest
HukariAscendent personnel have the experience and expertise to support operating nuclear power plant licensing requirements. We helped maintain and update existing licenses to achieve client goals and regulatory compliance. Experience includes:
- NRC inspection interface
- Regulatory compliance
- Standard technical specification development and maintenance
- License renewals
- Plant capacity improvement/power uprate licensing
- Generic communication evaluation/ response
- Final Safety Analysis Report (FSAR) maintenance
- Licensee Event Reporting (LER)
- Notice of Violation (NOV)/corrective action development/documentation
Nuclear Power Plant and Production Facility Decommissioning Licensing Support
Clients: Westinghouse Electrical Company (Hematite Fuel Fabrication Facility D&D) and URENCO [National Enrichment Facility (NEF)]
HukariAscendent licensing personnel supported the commercial nuclear industry in reactor decommissioning and fuel cycle facility decommissioning licensing. HukariAscendent personnel played important roles in developing innovative solutions to D&D challenges. HukariAscendent licensing experience includes:
- D&D licensing
- Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation (ISFSI) licensing
- Final Status Surveys to support license termination processes
Inspections, Tests, Analyses, and Acceptance Criteria (ITAAC) Support
Clients: Westinghouse Electric Company, AREVA, and Energy Northwest
- HukariAscendent Supported Westinghouse in developing the ITAAC for the Westinghouse AP-1000 reactor design and licensing to respond to U.S. NRC Regulatory Issue Summary 2008-05, NEI 08-01, 10 CFR 52.99 and Regulatory Guide 1.215.
- Developed the Project Implementation Plan for ITAAC for the AP-1000 for V.C. Summer Units 2 and 3.
- Provided Project Manager for the development process.
- Performed a Zero-dollar Drawing Conversion Pilot Project to demonstrate how efficiently and accurately required drawing changes could be accomplished, and to estimate the average amount of time required – on a per-drawing basis – to complete the work.
- Provided technical staffing to augment the Westinghouse team in development and verification of the documentation to fully describe the Startup Testing which will be performed on the AP-1000.
- Developed ITAAC for U.S. Evolutionary Power Reactor (EPR) Design Certification Document (DCD). (AREVA)
- Evaluated applicability of ITAAC process to Small Modular Reactors (SMRs). (Energy Northwest)
Nuclear Quality Assurance (QA) Program Support
Clients: CH2M HILL, CORE, Inc. and NuScale
- Provided Subject Matter Expert services to the Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation (ENEC) through CH2M HILL (Managing Agent) to develop a Nuclear QA Program for a New Generation Civil Nuclear Power Project for the United Arab Emirates.
- Led NQA-1 supplier audits and developed Nuclear QA Program documents and procedures. (CH2M HILL)
- Provided nuclear QA consulting services through CORE, Inc. to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) in support of the Design Certification for the Advanced Pressurized-Water Reactor (APWR) and in support of associated COLA applications.
- Performed a gap analysis between the MHI Nuclear QA Program and U.S. QA Program requirements (App. B of 10CFR50 and NQA-1) to determine needed changes to ensure compliance with NRC regulatory requirements. (CORE, Inc.)
- Developed, evaluated, and maintained NuScale QA Program processes including writing instructions, procedures, and other requirement and guidance documents.
- Reviewed NuScale procedures for compliance with the Quality Management Plan (QMP) and the QA Program Description (QAPD).
- Participated in NuScale supplier qualification surveys, implementation audits, and surveillances; internal QA audits, surveillances, and assessments; and root cause analyses.
- Served as a resource by providing guidance, support in the field of nuclear QA to NuScale personnel performing activities affecting quality.