- Deactivation, Decommissioning, and Demolition
- Nuclear Safety Analysis
- Program and Project Management
HukariAscendent prepared a Safety Analysis Document (SAD) and Accelerator Safety Envelope (ASE) per the Department of Energy (DOE) Order, DOE O 420.2B, for demolishing Building 51 and the Bevatron accelerator at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). HukariAscendent’s scope included:
- Developing the first SAD and ASE under DOE O 420.2B for decommissioning and demolishing an accelerator and is being used by DOE as an example of how to write them.
- Review of existing characterization reports to support the completion of the SAD, ASE, and supporting document deliverables. Review of demolition contractor plans to evaluate techniques and associated hazards.
- Incorporation of LBNL comments on draft SAD and ASE and review of existing LBNL documents to ensure consistency with SAD and ASE.
- Meeting the accelerated schedule (3 weeks) for preparing the SAD and ASE.
- Assessment of the state of the current facility, and the proposed end state.
- Conducting site walk-downs, gathering documents and information, and reviewing safety management programs.
- Completion of accident consequence analyses of the facility.
- Development of an Unreviewed Safety Issue (USI) procedure.
HukariAscendent also completed an independent detailed review of a cost estimate previously developed for the LBNL Old Town Demolition project. HukariAscendent provided technical input; validated estimate data; and made suggestions for improvement. LBNL used this review to improve its estimate in preparation for review by DOE.